Friday, February 17, 2012

Eastern Kentucky Elk

Next layer added on and now I am thinking that I would like to get some softer pastels to complete this painting.  :) O that means I have to go shopping!!! 









The Elk was introduced back into Eastern Kentucky in 1997, this handsome fella had his photo taken in Knott county by Kentucky Photographer Michael Smith. Michael has graciously allowed me to use his photo for a reference so that I can do this painting.
I will be using the alphacolor pastels on a 9"x12" 600 grit Ampersand sanded pastel paper.
Here I have sketched this guy on the pastel paper.

Here is a little back ground on this majestic animal.
Elk once roamed the hills of Kentucky but by the mid 1850’s, none were to be found. In a true partnership effort, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and the Shikar Safari Club joined forces to bring this magnificent creature back to Kentucky. An aggressive elk re-establishment program ensued. From 1997 to 2002, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife released a total of 1,556 elk that originated from Arizona, Kansas, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, and Utah. Over 100 animals were released at 8 suitable sites in a 16-county elk zone. In 2009, the herd reached the project goal of 10,000 elk.
 Here I have laid in the first layers in the background. I have also worked on laying in the dark areas of the elk.





After working on him a little more, I sprayed to set my first layers of pastel. As you can see it darkens and leaves some spotty areas but that is okay, I now have more tooth to work with and will be covering all of the spotty areas anyway.


 N

2 comments:

  1. Elk are big and they have big racks, which are not compatible with the woods. So Elk tend to stay in the open, the roads, the streams, the fields, the back yards, the front yards, the gardens, your driveway. Ever tried to walk past a grazing Elk to get to your car? It's time to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Tami- really nice shading that pops! And amazing that Don knows so much about elk! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete